Make mum’s day this Mothers’ Day by eschewing bland celebrations in favour of something with a spicy Indian twist…
THE GIFT: Mira Manek’s Saffron Soul cookbook
Keen cooks will give this more than a look. It’s easy to become entirely immersed in Mira’s colourful universe – her modern Indian recipes putting a healthy spin on traditional dishes. Employing ancient Avurvedic wisdom and contemporary cooking techniques, it’s one Mum’ll turn to again and again.
- ‘Saffron Soul’ is published by Jacqui Small, RRP £20. For more information and to order, click here
THE SWEET TREAT: Little Black Cat Gourmet’s Chocolate Jewellery Set
If she’ll always suspected she has more than a little blue blood running through her veins, treat her to this sumptuous set of edible, wearable jewellery. The Mughal-inspired necklace, earrings and arsi ring are all made from single-origin chocolate, and come in a gilded gift box.
- Little Black Cat Gourmet’s Chocolate Jewellery Set costs £50. For more information and to order, click here
Ravinder Bhogal’s Marylebone restaurant has a gorgeously homely atmosphere (if the home in question belonged in a glossy interiors mag). Treat mum to a feast from the East African-accented menu; Bombay sandwiches, keema Sloppy Joes, fenugreek waffles, and a delectable breakfast cocktail or two.
- Brunch is served from 10am on weekends. Jikoni, 19-21 Blandford Street, London W1U 3DH. For more information and to book, click here
LUNCH: Talli Joe’s A Taste of Home
This four-course Mothers’ Day menu is inspired by a quartet of foodie mums; Darjeeling Express founder Asma Khan, ‘Cook in a Curry’ Maunika Gowadhan, Bristol chef Romy Gill, and broadcaster Rebecca Seal. With 25% of profits supporting the Parikrma Humanity Foundation, this is a meal to warm Mum’s heart.
- The ‘Taste of Home’ menu is available daily throughout March. Talli Joe, 152-156 Shaftesbury Ave, London WC2H 8HL. For more information and to book, click here
AFTERNOON TEA: Cinnamon Bazaar’s Trader’s High Tea
Choose Cinnamon Bazaar’s chaat-centric menu for an afternoon tea she’ll be talking about for years to come. Samosa chaat and aloo tikki chaat are just two of the stars of the show in a rather lovely line-up that’s all washed down with Mum’s choice of JING tea or masala chai.
- Trader’s High Tea is served daily from 3-5.30pm, and starts at £30 for two. Cinnamon Bazaar, 28 Maiden Lane, London WC2E 7JS. For more information and to book, click here
COCKTAILS: Dishoom’s Permit Room
For arresting, interesting cocktails with an accent that’s decidedly Desi, Dishoom’s Permit Room remains unsurpassed. Masterminded by resident bartender Carl Brown, the luscious list includes the rather fabulous Bollybellini – perfect for kicking off a night of frivolous fun with Mum.
- Dishoom has branches in Carnaby, Shoreditch, Kings Cross, Covent Garden and Edinburgh. For more information and to book, click here
DINNER: Gunpowder’s Family Recipes
Inspired by Indian childhoods and the fantastic fuel their mothers provided, Harneet Baweja and Nirmal Save have drummed up some new seasonal dishes; including Aunty Sulu’s wild rabbit pulao and blood orange baked paneer cheesecake. The perfect end to a marvellous Mothers’ Day.
- Mother’s Day dishes are available from 20 March. Gunpowder, 11 White’s Row, London E1 7NF. For more information and to book, click here